The Ulster Golden Retriever Club was formed on the 10th June 1968 by a meeting of 29 golden retriever enthusiasts including Everet Massey, Eva Harkness, Lucy Ross, Heather Avis, Rev. Hutchinson and Jim Clarke. The Club was first registered with the Kennel Club on the 19th May 1969 and held its first AGM in the Woodlands Hotel on the 9th February 1970 when it had 36 paid up members.
The objectives of the club are:
- To promote and encourage the exhibiting and working of Golden Retrievers.
- To urge the adoption of the Breed Standard of Excellence by Breeders, Exhibitors, Judges, Dog Show Committees and others.
- To ensure the appointment of qualified judges.
- The Club shall be maintained for the benefit of and for the further education of its Members in the Management Training, Working, Showing, Breeding and every aspect pertaining to Golden Retrievers.
- To promote the welfare of the Breed by encouraging the members to follow the Clubs Code of Ethics.